So you have a Teensy and a RGB LED Matrix Panel and you want an easy way to add graphics to your matrix without having to toss aside your Teensy or do too much soldering. Enter the SmartMatrix SmartLED Shield (V4) for Teensy 3.2, 3.5, or 3.6 (not the Teensy LC)!
The SmartLED Shield gives you an easy way to connect up a Teensy 3.2, Teensy 3.5, or Teensy 3.6 to one of our RGB LED Matrix Panels. The example sketches included with the SmartMatrix Library will get you started quickly displaying graphics, patterns, or even animated GIFs from a microSD card on your panel.
- Shield is fully assembled, no soldering required (besides adding pins to the Teensy)
- HUB75 pinout, connects to panel directly or using panel's ribbon cable
- 5V level shifters for better compatibility with 5V panels
- Support for driving Dotstar/APA102 LEDs in parallel with the LED panel, connects directly to 4-pin JST SM cable on Dotstar LEDs, or use the included cable
- Expansion rows for main Teensy pins, making signals available for prototyping
- Teensy is easily removed from the shield
Note: compared to previous versions of the SmartMatrix Shield, the microSD card slot was removed, as it is redundant when combined with the Teensy 3.5/3.6
The shield brings the 13 I/O signals needed to drive the panel out to a connector that matches the pinout on the panel, and brings the rest of the I/O signals out to convenient expansion headers. The board includes pre-soldered 5V level shifters.